Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho
by Catherine Chiu
- Women, when they kill themselves, choose far more romantic methods — like slashing their wrists or taking an overdose of sleeping pills.
- I’ll just say that insanity is the inability to communicate your ideas.
- What makes a person hate themselves? Cowardice, perhaps. Or the eternal fear of being wrong, of not doing what others expect.
- How can I hate someone who only ever gave me love?
- The music could penetrate even his remote world, more distant than the moon itself; it could even perform miracles.
- What is reality? It’s whatever the majority deems it to be. It’s not necessarily the best or the most logical, but it’s the one that supports the desires of the society as a whole.
- Haven’t you learned anything, not even with the approach of death. Stop thinking all the time that you’re in the way, that you’re bothering the person next to you. If they don’t like it, they can complain. And if they don’t have the courage to complain, that’s their problem.
- What’s dignity? It’s wanting everyone to think you’re good, well-behaved, full of love for your fellow man.
- You have two choices: to control your mind or to let your mind control you.
- That’s how it should be with you; stay insane, but behave like normal people. Run the risk of being different, but learn to do so without attracting attentions.
- What is the real “I”? It’s what you are, not what others make of you.
- That’s youth for you; it sets its own limits without even asking if the body can take it. Yet the body always does.
- We’re allowed to make a lot of mistakes in our lives except the mistake that destroys us.
- Through the pure emotion of a sonata or a minuet she had forged a bond with this man such as she had never known with anyone else.
- Tonight I played for you like a woman in love. It was wonderful. It was the best moment of my entire life.
- Veronika needed to reward him for the immense pleasure he had given her, merely by staying with her and witnessing her insanity without horror or repulsion. She sat down at the piano and started to play again.
- If only everyone could know and live with their inner craziness. Would the world be a worse place for it? No people would be fairer and happier.
- Basically everything that happens in our life is our fault and ours alone.
- I’ll tell them not to follow the manual of good behavior but to discover their own lives, desires, adventures, and to live.
- If you live, God will live with you. If you refuse to run his risks, he’ll retreat to that distant heaven and be merely a subject for philosophical speculation.
- You’re someone who is different, but who wants to be same as everyone else. And that in my view, is a serious illness.
- But then, the great craziness of mean and women is precisely that: love.
- Love is above wisdom.
- I want to tell you that I love you. You don’t have to believe it, maybe it’s just foolishness, a fantasy of mine.
- An Awareness of Death Encourages Us to Live More Intensely