The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
by Catherine Chiu
- The aim of life is self-development. To realize one’s nature perfectly — that is what each of us is here for.
- Yes, that is one of the great secrets of life — to cure the soul by means of the senses, and the senses by means of the soul.
- Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.
- I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.
- Always! That is a dreadful word. It makes me shudder when i hear it. Women are so fond of using it. They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever.
- To be in love is to surpass one’s self.
- Love makes people good.
- As for a spoiled life, no life is spoiled but one whose growth is arrested.
- When he entered, she looked at him, and an expression of infinite joy came over her.
- What could they know of love such as ours? Take me away, Dorian, take me away with you where we can be quite alone.
- “Dorian”, she answered, lingering over his name with long-drawn music in her voice, as though it were sweeter than honey to the red petals of her mouth.
- You came — oh, my beautiful love! — and you freed my soul from prison. You taught me what reality really is.
- You made me understand what love really is. My love! My love! Prince charming! Prince of life!
- Don’t be cruel to me, because I love you better than anything in the world.
- There is always something ridiculous about the emotions of people whom one has ceased to love.
- They would be happy together. His life with her would be beautiful and pure.
- There is luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.
- Some one has killed herself for love of you. I wish that I had ever had such an experience. It would have made me in love with love.
- When a woman marries again, it is because she detested her first husband. When a man marries again, it is because he adored his first wife. Women try their luck; men risk theirs.
- Women love us for our defects. If we have enough of them, they will forgive us everything, even our intellects.
- If we women did not love you for your defects, where would you all be?
- What of art?
A fashionable substitute for belief.
- To define is to limit.
- “Not with women,” said the duchess, shaking her head, “and women rule the world. I assure you we can’t bear mediocrities. We women, as some one says, love with our ears, just as you men love with your eyes, if you ever love at all.”
- How fond women are of doing dangerous things! It is one of the qualities in them that I admire most.
- I wish I could love. But I seem to have lost the passion and forgotten the desire. I am too much concentrated on myself. my own personality becomes a burden to me. I want to escape, to go away, to forget.
- Death is the only thing that terrifies me. I hate it.
- If a man treats life artistically, his brain is his heart.
- To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OSCAR WILDE!